Sir John Moore Foundation

Black and white photograph of 2 children in front garden of the Almshouses (can't see the building but looking across to the Church grounds.  Full of flowers and vegetables (very different from current layout). 1950s?

Object Title: Photo of garden of Almshouses with Beadman daughters

Associations:

The Almshouses were built in 1839 following the closure of a workhouse in Measham.
They were funded by the Misses Moore, 3 daughters of Squire George Moore, born in the 1770s and remained unmarried.
Consisted of 5 cottages and gardens.  Run by a charitable trust and originally let for a modest rent to poor persons of the parish who were "of good character and repair and members of the established Church".
Beadman family.

Associated era: 20th Century

2021.26